IRS mileage log requirements:
- The total mileage you drove in the tax year for business, commuting, and personal miles other than commuting
- The first and the last odometer readings of the year
- The dates of your business trips
- The address of the client you visited
- The purpose of your business trips
Watch out for landmines
In theory, it sounds like an easy task to keep track of your trips. In practice, the IRS can request all of your business data: Business expense reports, odometer readings recorded at the mechanic, traffic cams, tolls, etc. If these documents do not match with your mileage logs a fine from the IRS can be crushing.
How To Track Your Mileage?
Some people track their mileages on paper. If you prefer this option, we have a printable mileage log template for you. Nonetheless, a traditional mileage log in Excel, Google Sheets, templates, or samples will not perform even the simplest check-ups in your mileage log such as checking whether your odometer readings are realistic or not.
If you (or your employee) drive a private vehicle for business use besides personal use, you can also apply for a tax refund after the miles driven. Use our company mileage reimbursement calculator to see how much you can save in a tax year. Whether you choose the standard mileage rate or the actual expense method, MileageWise ensures that your mileage logs meet every expectation.
Go With The Smartest Solution
Keeping a vehicle mileage log on paper can take up 3-5 hours of your time every month. Using MileageWise, the same task is only 7 minutes/month. You can always decide:
- Keep your log on paper and pay with your time.
- Keep your log with free or cheap software and pay the IRS Fine.
- Use MileageWise for logging and save a huge amount of money.
- Outsource the task to our mileage log experts, and save your time & money.
Don’t forget: Your MileageWise subscription is also deductible as a business expense.
Be Wise, Choose MileageWise
MileageWise checks & corrects 70 logical conflicts before printing to ensure your mileage logs are IRS-proof! It takes only 7 minutes to complete 1 month’s worth of mileage logs resulting in $1,000s in deductible taxes, without struggling with an expense tracker. MileageWise also has an app for both iOS and Android phones so that you can record your trips on the go.